Pages

Sunday, July 27, 2008

April 2002 - Salt Lake City, Utah

Driving through the canyon tonight I was thinking about places Jim and I had been and things we had done. One of the memories that came to mind was a trip we took to the all exciting Salt Lake City, Utah in April of 2002. We had a full agenda planned... we played mini golf... saw My Big Fat Greek Wedding... and stayed at the Armstrong Mansion Bed & Breakfast, and then decided to continue the setting of the weekend out on the Great Salt Lake. So we chartered a private sailboat and had it catered for a sunset dinner on the lake...

It was a beautiful day when we started out. By the time we got to the dock a storm was starting to brew. We got out, met the captain of our vessel, and set sail out on to the beautiful lake (remember it's April... the flies and shrimp aren't out basking in the sun yet...). Half way out to the first turn and I'm ready to lose the little bit of the food I had a chance to swallow. That's when the waves started to turn the boat. Jim suggested that I get up on deck to catch some air. It took Waddles and the Captain to get me to the top deck...

Once on top it didn't get any better. I asked how close the storm was going to get and was assured that the storm would move slowly and we'd be fine. Three minutes later I'm hanging over the edge of the sailboat... Jim's gripping me literally by the seat of my pants to keep me from flailing over... I'm violently feeding the fish... and with Jim's extra hand he's helping the Captain with the boom. We've got radio confirmation that the storm is now upon us and we have to try harder to get to shore...

It takes us ten minutes to make the trip back in to the safety of the harbor. I don't remember what anything looked like... all I saw was the constant waves in my face and water rushing by as I hung on for dear life over the side of the deck the entire way (there's only one other time I've thrown up that much and it was for a legitimate reason!)...

We pull in to harbor and the others there are cheering us on... and that's when the Durgan luck really kicks in and shines through... we get stuck on a sand barge in the harbor... no... seriously... it takes us another 20 minutes to get off the barge... I'm still puking... I can't feel my legs... and someone is mumbling something about a partial refund... geez... you think... because we sure in the hell didn't pay $250 for this ride...

I somehow get from the dock to the car (I half remember being carried) and then have to spend the 20 minutes back to the hotel holding my breath with every pot hole...

We get back to the room and... bless Waddles... he really was trying... Jim runs me a bath in the giant tub... I sat in it for as long as I could... but every time the water swished I thought I'd start hurling over the edge all over again... sensing this the world's most perfect man brought me cold wash cloths and ice... because that's how he is.

No pictures for this post. It's hard to take pictures when you're feeding the fish :)

No comments: